Monday, October 19, 2015

Squirrel Experience (And Reminder!)

This is my second post about squirrels! I just wanted to say that I had a surprising experience a few days ago.

I was sitting at the National Mall, a few feet away from a tree. I was eating some lunch, when suddenly I noticed a cute little squirrel about a foot away. I offered it some goldfish, and it took tint nibbles. Suddenly, it stopped nibbling and JUMPED IMTOP MY HAND. It stated on my hand for a moment, then jumped off and scurried away.

The squirrels at the mall are very tame, but after thinking about the experience, I recommend you don't do it. Squirrels are mammals and all mammals can carry rabies. There are two types of rabies:


  1. They can act sluggish and hurt, and when you go up to help them they bite you
  2. They are aggressive and foam at the mouth. Because the animal is dying, the virus needs to go to another body and the virus makes the animal attack another animal

Another thing I saw at the mall was a white squirrel. Albino, actually, because of the red eyes. This one I also got close to, but refrained from touching. 

I once visited a rehibilitators house, and she had two hamster cages of baby squirrels: one with their eyes open and some with their eyes still closed. She told me that squirrels are really clean and have no fleas or ticks, even in the wild.

Just thought I would share my experience, but please refrain from handling the squirrels, because if they think you have rabies treatment is around twenty shots a week in the stomach. 

Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment