Sunday, September 6, 2015

How to Write

Hello! As I said, I was going to look for some more writing magazines, but instead I came across something that doesn't rip: online articles. Check out my list. Again, the list will be links to the site:


These are articles that can help you learn how to write, so to speak. I'm a big writer and a reader, and reading articles from the big-time authors always inspires me. 

I think that from now on I'm always going to try and put a writing prompt in my blog. I already have one for today. Ready? It's based off of Narnia, and you'll have to fill in some parts. Oh and one last detail: it's in the first person.

I was driving out of my neighborhood to a furniture store, shopping for a new closet. You know the ones, the old fashioned kind that you can open and close. On the way out of the neighborhood, I noticed yard sale signs. I didn't pay any mind to them, until I couldn't resist any longer. Oh what the heck! Couldn't I go check it out? Even if it only meant slowing down the car for a quick peek? I was famous for lolly lagging. I took a right instead of a left to go to the yard sale. As I got nearer, I couldn't believe my eyes. There was that closet I had wanted! It looked out of place on the dry grass... dry grass? Oh no. I had come directly to the neighborhoods most weird house... and neighbor. An old man, who was always whispering creepy stuff, like "the river of tar, it winds like an old snake..." it was weird. However to my surprise, no, shock, about half the neighborhood was gathered on his lawn, buying things. Curious, and wanting to see if that closet was cheaper than the one in the catalog, I parked two houses down, got out from my (insert favorite car.), and made my way over to the lawn. Mrs. (insert name.) was there. She was always talking, but now slowly strolled around on the yard, looking at things. That's when it hit me. The yard was... silent. Too silent, if you ask me. I'm a loud kind of person. I walked to the closet, wanting to get this over with. It was less expensive, but easier it made it easier to bring home. Suddenly I felt a prickle on the back of my neck, and turned to find the neighbors (choose: staring or looking wearily) at me. That was weird. I went to the old man, and shifted uncomfortably in my (high heel or work boots.) "You," he rasped, "you an see through the trance!" My answer was a combination of huh, what, and can I just have the closet please that came out as, "Wha huh closet please." The prickling sensation on my back started up again, even more powerful this time. When I turned around, I saw the neighbors had grown (choose: claws or teeth) and were... GROWLING?! "Please just give me the closet. And if this is a prank, ha ha very funny now please leave me alone before I call the police." I was taking out my phone to show I was serious, when suddenly it FLEW into Mr. (insert name) hand. I was watching him perplexed when suddenly I felt myself being turned around UNWILLINGLY and facing the old man. "So you want the closet, eh? Here ya go!" I felt myself being dragged backwards, but no one was dragging me. "Just remember, my name is John Silver." I could sense the closet doors opening somehow, and... my mind went blank. "The name John Silver might help you." As the doors started to close slowly, with me in the closet, I heard "Or it might not." Laughter, and then darkness. After a (insert an amount of time) I think it was (insert the time you just entered), I gathered up enough guts to push open the door. Somehow I knew it was there, and I pushed. What I saw was a river of tar, again I some how knew, flowing gently down to who knows where. That part I didn't know: where did this river go? The river was a crack amongst the pulsing red landscape. Where was this place? And more importantly, where was I? Even though I suddenly noticed I was sweaty, I felt a chill when I realized I might never see my home again. I felt another chill when I read a wooden sign at the banks of the river: "The river of tar, it flows like an old snake..." J.S. J.S? John Silver.


Happy writing!





No comments:

Post a Comment