Sunday, September 27, 2015

One Prompt and Two Ways to Write a Story

I saw this photo online, and I thought it would make a pretty good story. Here's the photo:











Here's one way you could write the story:

Music is special to me. Every day, I sneak away with my violin, and sit on some rocks in the stream and play a piece I composed myself. Often times, the wildlife comes and sits by me, and I sit in the peace and just soak it in. Sometimes I played music for nature, other times it's the other way around. Gradually, the wildlife left, and I began to play my favorite piece for the last time before I went home. I heard something in the bush, and I let my bow stay on the violin, and trained my eyes on the spot where I had heard the noise. I heard a peculiar noise, and with horror, I realized it was the sound of a camera shutter closing. After taking a photo. In my secret place. "No!" I cried, jumping up. My violin and bow clattered as they hit the ground. I splashed into the creek and toward the bushes, my now soaked dress dragging behind me. As I reached the banks of the creek, I heard bushes being shoved aside and twigs snapping. An innocent man never runs. I creeped quietly, and soon enough, the sound of the bushes and twigs faded away. As I quietly neared where I thought this person was, and as I got closer, I heard labored breathing. I quietly crouched in the bushes, and observed the man fiddle with his camera. Making up my mind, I jumped out behind him and cried, "You!" The man whirled to face me and gulped. "Me?" He squeaked. "Yes you!" In response, he lifted his camera and TOOK ANOTHER PHOTO! Then he ran, so I ran. When he was close enough, I let out an "AARGH!" and tackled the man. He hit the forest floor with a thump. I grabbed his collar and brought him to his feet. "Do not take pictures of me, and do NOT put them for the world to see, " I said quietly. With me, quiet is dangerous. "But you look so pretty! See for yourself." The man had me look through a little hole in his camera, and there I saw a beautiful girl in my dress and my violin. Wait... was that me? I was... yes, I was quite beautiful. Suddenly, the photo of me disappeared, along with the man as he ran away again. I chased the man again, and caught the back of his shirt this time. I spun him to face me. "I can play this game all day. I suggest you make it easier on yourself and remain quiet. And here." He nodded. "I am from somewhere not of this world. Get rid of that photo, before I smash your precious little camera against that rock." My icy cold blue eyes were trained on the man, but I knew the rock was behind me. "But... but I can't do that!" "Why?" I asked in a whisper. "Need someone to do it for you?" I reached for the camera. "No! But please, I beg of you, take this copy of your photo." He handed me the photo I saw in the camera. I took it. "Look, I'm sorry I tackled you. But please, just don't speak of me to any one else. I'm not from this world. Some people know this, and are desperate to get their hands on me. Please, just don't speak of this." I hated to beg, and I knew there was true desperation in my eyes. I also knew he saw it. "Okay. Take this photo. I won't speak of this to anyone, I promise." I continued looking at him for a moment, before I turned away. An eagle landed on my shoulder. I could see the mans' expression. Awe. "Go get fish," I whispered. The eagle sprang off my shoulder and flew away. I turned once more to the man. " Wait here. The grab the fish, leave, and never breathe a word." I turned, and a wolf pack emerged from the woods and surrounded me. I walked away, and behind me, I hear the thud of two fish hitting the forest floor.


Or, you could write it like this:

Music was a cover. I hated it. Every day, I snuck away and played my violin horribly by myself. But I never knew one shutter click would change my life. But right then, I didn't know it. Until, click. I could practically hear my life shattering. The shrapnel hit the water with a splash, and were carried downstream with my violin and bow when I dropped it and ran. Away. But running away, as I learned, never solves anything.


Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment